1.31.2009

Baby Love

So, it's been almost 2 weeks since I gave birth to my baby boy, Gregory. He is simply amazing, and like when I had my daughter, I have no idea how I existed in life without having him before. Gregory was named after Daddy, and he was born on 1-19-09 weighing in at a hefty 10 pounds, and 20.5 inches long. Thank the Lord for c-sections :)
I've learned a lot from my first pregnancy and birth to this one. I am no means an expert at being a mommy, but the following are some points that I have learned. While, it may help no one, I think it will be beneficial for me to look back on these points someday.
  • Birth is hard. Even when it's a planned c-section. It's okay to feel weak (mentally & physically). There is no need to feel like SuperMom within the first days of your baby's life.
  • Crying is therapeutic and it's okay to give into the urges whenever they arise. This was hard with me the first time around, and even a bit this time around. When you are pregnant you have a flooding of hormones, etc. and then the minute you give birth, they get depleted, which leaves you feeling very emotional. I guess it's what they call Baby Blues. I don't feel it's post-partum, as I never have had thoughts of harming myself or my baby, but there are times, when you just feel like crying. At first I thought I was weak and not a good mom. Now, I know that's not the case. And, after every good cry, you always feel refreshed.
  • Babies have a mind of their own. Although I'm a big advocate for getting babies on a schedule as soon as possible, sometimes it just doesn't happen every day and that's okay. Babies know when they want to eat and sleep.
  • Don't listen to everyone and their experience. It's been a long time since some of these women have given birth.
  • I'm still amazed at the feeling I experienced when I heard both my babies cry for the first time as they breathed their first breaths of life. It's so overwhelming in the most amazing way. My husband has explained it best...it changes the very core of who you are. Never in my life have I experienced complete and utter unconditional love as I have when my babies are born.
  • Being a mom is hard, but the most rewarding experience of my life. It's a constant balance between worrying and joy. I worry about leaving them at daycare, not spending enough quality time with them, if they are eating right, if I love them enough and they know it. It's also joyful watching them grow, watching them develop into little people...my little people.
  • Each time I fall more in love with my husband. He is the best husband and the best father. He is helpful, fun, my meaty shoulder that catches my tears, my rock, my best friend. And, he doesn't shy away at all from poopy diapers.
  • I love being a mom.
  • Plain and simple.
  • It is and will be my greatest accomplishment in life.
Click to play
by Smilebox" src="http://www.smilebox.com/globalImages/blogInstructions/blogLogoSmileboxSmall.gif" width=386>
Make a Smilebox slideshow
*Music by Michelle Featherstone - Sweet Sweet Baby

2 comments:

Samara Link said...

Olivia, I just had a chance to read your post. Congratulations! He is beautiful. I'm glad you are all healthy and home. It sounds like it's a lot of work and a great deal of change. Keep us posted on how things go. Your photo slideshow is incredible. You have done a wonderful job of capturing him and his preciousness. Great song choice, too! Hang in there mommy. :)

Lis said...

Congrats Olivia!!! hes adorable! I love the slide show!!!! Great pictures!!!!!