3.19.2010

Friday Focus: Pink Hearts

Do you have a comfort food that when you eat it, smell it, or think about it, it takes you right back to childhood? Isn’t it amazing how that happens? I love comfort food. I love how comfort food can be a dessert, a special soup, a casserole, or just on old family favorite that has been passed down through the generations.

When I was a kid, and even up until I left Washington at the ripe old age of 21, my Aunt would make us Valentine’s Day goodies and every year she would make something new, but her Pink Hearts were always a staple in our little goody box. My brother and I would fight over the Pink Hearts and I’m pretty sure he would scour the box and devour most of them before letting me “find” 3 or 4 hidden in there. Turd.

These cuties are supposed to be made small. I’m sure you could use any type of cookie cutter, but I’ve only ever done hearts. The cookie is almost like a pie crust in it’s very subtle sweetness and buttery flakiness. The sweetness comes from the perfect buttercream (read: NO CANNED FROSTING…EVER! GAG!!!) piped into the middle and dusting of sugar on the outside. These dainty pink hearts are fragile…you can take two bites, but it’s better to pop the whole thing in your mouth at once! I want to stress that these are not your typical “sugar cookie” recipe. But they are so yummy! I suggest working in small batches when you roll out the dough because with the high butter content the dough gets soft fast and is hard to get off your rolling surface. Don’t be afraid to flour your surface and pin often.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

Pink Hearts

1 cup soft butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar for sanding (approximately)
  • Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
  • Chill one hour.
  • Heat oven to 350°. Roll dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into what ever shape you want. (They should be fairly small though.)
  • Transfer to large shallow dish that has sugar in it. Make sure each cookie has sugar all over it on both sides.
  • Place on an ungreased cookie sheet (I always use parchment or a silpat). Prick on one side only with a fork, two times. Bake 7 – 9 minutes or until slightly puffy.
  • Let cool and fill with your favorite buttercream frosting.
Bon Appetit!


1 comment:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

It's always the simplest recipes that come out the best! These look so good!